Mar. 2010 1
My cousin is getting married and my mom is throwing her wedding shower at our house. I’m helping my mom get ready by making some pretty placemats. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
1. Choose a mid to heavy weight fabric. Pick a fabric with a woven design rather than a printed pattern. This is important for a couple reasons. For one, woven fabrics usually don’t have a front and back which means you can just throw it on the table and it won’t matter. Secondly, you need a woven fabric because we will be fraying the edges.
We choose a yellow and white plaid.
2. Cut rectangles 12.5″x18″. I suggest using a rotary cutter because it much faster and creates a cleaner edge.
3. Using a 1/2″ seam allowance sew around with a zigzag stitch. Do Not sew all the way off the edge.
4. Throw in the washing machine and drier. It will come out looking like a big scary, knotted mess, but don’t worry.
5. De-tangle, trim and iron. Then, you’re done!