This skirt is really basic, and really easy. You can do it with out the pockets and make it ridiculously fast. I recommend including the pockets though. You will never regret having somewhere to put your ID, or ticket, or Chap Stick, or whatever.
You only need about a yard (or less) of knit fabric. I found this great chevron print on (of course) the clearance table. So this skirt cost me less than 3 bucks to make.
1. Measure your low waist (where your jean usually sit) and measure your hips.
2. Measure the vertical distance between low waist and hips, and then subtract 1”
3. Measure length add 1″
4. Cut 2:
5. Cut 2:
6. Making Pockets.
6a. Pick 1 piece to be front. Cut pockets like so:
6b. Use the front piece, trace waist line, hip line and pocket outline. Now finish out the pocket. This is your outer pocket piece. Cut 2, opposites
6d. Sew outer pocket piece to skirt. Trim excess seam allowance and turn right side out. Top stitch seam
6e. Sew inner and outer pocket pieces together.
6f. Secure pocket by top stitching:
7. Sew front and back of skirt together
8. Sew waist band pieces together then fold in half.
9. Attach waist band to skirt. I suggest using a lightning bolt or zigzag stitch (or even better, an over-lock machine)
10. Hem and done!