45 Minute Hat
Anyways. So I figured out how to make this hat when Heather and I were making Renaissance Fair costumes. We needed a floppy hat, and thus the circle hat was born. I tweeked the pattern so it could be worn for day-to-day. There are tons of variations you can do. Just have fun!
P.S. You can totally get this down in 30 minutes if you are speedy and don’t really care about being perfect. Anyone else thinking Christmas gifts?
1. Measure your head where you want the hat to rest. My measurement was 22″
3. Sew the ends of your band together with 1/2″ seam
4. Figure out your circle radius:
-For a less floppy hat: Band measurement divided by 3.14 and 1″ to that number
-For more floppy: Band measurement divided by 6.14 then multiply by 2,3,or 4 and so on and 1″ to that number
5. Cut circle of above radius (measurement from center of circle to edge). I used an 8″ radius
6. For this part you can either pleat or gather:
Pleat your circle pinning as you go until the opening matches the measurement of your band
7. Pin you band to the circle portion of the hat, right sides together. For some reason I only took pictures of the checkered hat up to this point, the rest is a red hat. But it’s the same thing!
8. Sew at 1/2″ seam allowance
9. Fold the edge of the band to meet the opposite edge
10. Fold again so your first fold meets the seam
Add flowers, change the fabric. There are tons of options. Here are three that I’ve madePin It