Mar. 2010 1
Easy Country Placemats
My cousin is getting married and my mom is throwing her wedding shower at our house. I’m helping my mom get ready by making some pretty placemats. Here’s a step-by-step guide:
1. Choose a mid to heavy weight fabric. Pick a fabric with a woven design rather than a printed pattern. This is important for a couple reasons. For one, woven fabrics usually don’t have a front and back which means you can just throw it on the table and it won’t matter. Secondly, you need a woven fabric because we will be fraying the edges.
We choose a yellow and white plaid.
2. Cut rectangles 12.5″x18″. I suggest using a rotary cutter because it much faster and creates a cleaner edge.
3. Using a 1/2″ seam allowance sew around with a zigzag stitch. Do Not sew all the way off the edge.
4. Throw in the washing machine and drier. It will come out looking like a big scary, knotted mess, but don’t worry.
5. De-tangle, trim and iron. Then, you’re done!